At a glance:
- Medtronic is among the world’s largest medical technology, services and solutions companies – alleviating pain, restoring health and extending life for millions of people around the world.
- Medtronic established– a state of the art, IT-enabled, captive engineering R&D center in India in 2011 which has evolved as Medtronic Engineering & Innovation Centre (MEIC); a Global Innovation Centre (GIC)
- Key highlights of MEIC:
- 350+ Highly qualified Engineers
- 140+ Patents and 400+ IP disclosures
- Complementary competence to support Global R&D Projects
- Quality & Compliance projects
- State-of-the-art well-equipped labs
- Multi-Stream capabilities and alliance partnerships
- Medtronic has decided to invest INR 1200 crore in MEIC which will make MEIC the largest global R&D center outside of the United States for Medtronic
- What is the special highlight of Medtronic’s R&D center in Hyderabad?
- MEIC has established collaborative partnerships with the R&D and Quality & Compliance teams across all therapy groups of Medtronic to help improve procedural outcomes while enhancing patient quality of life. The Center conducts advanced engineering R&D and product development work for the Global Business Units in the areas of design, analysis, hardware, software development and testing, while developing capabilities for future product development for the region and country.
- The Center works closely with the Medtronic commercial teams in India to ensure that local clinical needs are being met to best serve the Indian healthcare system. The Center has established excellent working relationships with key opinion leaders (renowned Physicians) and collaborative scientific partnerships with academic and hospital networks in the region and the country.
- How is Hyderabad contributing to the growth story of MEIC?
With access to top-notch software and engineering talent in the region and given past success with MEIC, Medtronic is expanding its investment in Hyderabad to accelerate R&D Globalization and Innovation. The strategic goal of MEIC is to “become a destination R&D Center for medical device software and engineering solutions” for Medtronic globally.
- Quote from leadership:
“Research and Development leads to innovation and innovation is crucial to our growth strategy. Medtronic’s investment in India is a testament to our commitment to the region and we are proud to be collaborating with the Government of Telangana on this major investment in the country. The expansion of MEIC will help us serve the Medtronic Mission to use medical technology to alleviate pain, restore health and extend life for patients around the world, which is also aligned with the government’s vision to improve access to healthcare for patients in India.”- Mr. Omar Ishrak, Executive Chairman and Chairman of the Board, Medtronic
“We are delighted that Medtronic has chosen Hyderabad as its largest R&D base outside the U.S. and intends to create about 1000 jobs in the next few years. It is indeed a great honour for the city to host this center and it is a testimony to Hyderabad’s growing prowess in the medical devices sector. Government of Telangana is committed to the growth of med-tech in the state and we see this partnership with Medtronic as a pivotal one. We will work with them to ensure this center will continue to contribute to their remarkable efforts to improve healthcare globally.”-Mr. KT Rama Rao, Hon’ble Minister for IT, Industries, MA & UD of Telangana State
Snapshots of the facility: